This dish is the result of wanting to make eggplant without breading or frying it. I usually serve it with pasta, quinoa or polenta and it is a dish we really enjoy.Ingredients
- 2 large eggplants, sliced to ½” to ¼” thick
- 2 cups of mushrooms, sliced (any type you like)
- ¼ onion, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp sour cream (I use vegan sour cream or fat-free will work)
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- Spread eggplant on cookie sheets and salt. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes then wipe water and excess salt from eggplant.
- In a large stockpot on medium heat, add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and onion. Sauté until onions are translucent.
- Next add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and eggplant. Sauté for about 20 minutes until eggplant in almost cooked.
- Then add the last Tbsp of olive oil and the mushrooms. Sauté for about 10 minutes until mushrooms are cooked.
- Finally, add sour cream, tomato paste and pepper and combine.
- Serve and enjoy.
*This dish actually tastes better the next day.