Posted by Jennifer (the RD) on December 10, 2012
Please meet friend of the blog, Shri Patel. She is a 3 year old healthy and physically active dog. Her family makes sure that she is properly exercised and loves getting on that treadmill! 🙂
Unfortunately, many dogs do not get the appropriate amount of exercise. Approximately 35% of pets are considered overweight. Like humans, this can lead to chronic health problems such as heart disease and diabetes.
Before starting an exercise regimen, it is a good idea to ask your vet a few questions. Many dogs have breed specific restrictions/limitations. Here are some questions to ask:
- What is the appropriate amount of exercise my dog should be getting?
- Are there any breed specific limitations my dog may have such as heat intolerance or joint problems?
- Do I live in an area that may be too hot or too cold to be outdoors all year round?
- Are there any other precautions I should consider?
Here are some exercise ideas for your dog:
- play fetch
- take your dog for a swim
- go for a jog or walk with your dog
- have your dog participate in agility training
- try slowly getting your dog used to the treadmill…like Shri! 🙂 (must be careful to constantly supervise your dog)
Have a great time exercising with your dogs!!!!!