I found this recipe a couple of weeks ago and I think I have make it at least three times already. It is so easy and it tastes great on a cold night. We love the original version of this recipe but I am always looking for ways to add more vegetables. I like it with avocado but I think it would be good with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt too.
4 to 6 Servings
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 – 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 – 8.5 oz box corn bread mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3-cup milk
- 2 oz diced green chile (½ 4 oz cans)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Over medium heat in a large cast iron skillet, brown ground beef, onion and bell pepper.
- Cook until onion and bell pepper soften.
- Remove from heat and drain off fat.
- Return to heat and add garlic powder, black pepper, crushed red pepper, cumin, and tomato paste.
- Combine well and top with grated cheese. Then remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine cornbread mix, egg, milk and green chilies.
- Pour this mixture on top of the cheese.
- Bake for 15 minute.
- Remove from heat and serve.