This is a recipe from a gym friend and she makes a huge pot of soup at least once a month. She claims the soup is a cure all. This recipe is very forgiving, I usually clean out my pantry when I make this and I use what ever I have on hand. Also, this soup freezes well.
- 3-4 Vidalia onions, chopped
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 8 cups fat free chicken or vegetable stock
- 8-16 cups water1/2 cup barley
- ¾ cup lentils
- 4-5 16 oz cans of beans (white, garbanzo, black, cannelli, etc)
- 16 oz can red kidney beans
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 26-28 oz cans Italian Tomatoes, pureed style
- 26-28 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3-4 zucchini, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ of a head of white cabbage
- 3 ears of fresh corn, cut off the cobs
- 16 oz bag of frozen peas
- 16 oz frozen spinach
- ½ whole-wheat pasta (small size like alphabet or orzo)
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 TBSP cumin
- 1 TBSP oregano (or another spice you like)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In large stockpot, sautéed onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Pour stock into stockpot and add 8 cups of water (add additional water as needed through the cooking process)
- Add barley and lentils to the stockpot and cook for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Add beans, tomato paste, pureed tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, carrots, celery, zucchini, bell pepper and cabbage and cook for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Add corn, peas, spinach, pasta, parsley, cilantro, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and cook for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.