This recipe is from Jennifer’s (the student) grandmother. This simple recipe was a favorite treat every time we visited my grandmother’s house. I have wonderful memories surrounding this recipe.
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 TBSP butter, melted and cooled
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 to 2 apples, cored, peeled and cut into about 8 slices per apple
- 1 TBSP sugar (topping on the cake)
- ½ tsp cinnamon (topping on the cake)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter and flour a 9-inch spring foam pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix brown sugar, butter, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla.
- Slowly incorporate flour mixture until completely mixed.
- Pour mixture into spring foam pan.
- Add apple slices to mixture and top with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, cake should be golden on top. Use a toothpick in the middle and it should come out clean.
- After removing from oven, let sit for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Transfer to a plate to serve.
- 10. Enjoy!