This is another recipe I did a makeover on. My co-worker Saulo contributed the original version. I hope you like it. 🙂
- 6 Bone in chicken breast halves
- 4 tsp. canola oil
- 7 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 seven oz. can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 TBSP chicken bouillon granules
- 16 tostada shells (baked – see instructions)
- 1 cup Lite sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Get a small oven safe bowl (or the tostada shell baking bowls I used) and press a flour tortilla into it. Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes and remove from oven to cool.
- Place the chicken into a large pot along with ¼ cup of sliced onion, garlic, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until no longer pink, about 25 minutes. Remove chicken, cool, and shred meat. Discard skin and bones.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining onion slices, and cook until transparent. Place tomatoes into a pan of boiling water You could use the leftover water you used for cooking the chicken) and boil until split open
- Place the tomatoes, whole can of peppers, chicken bouillon into a blender or large food processor. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Pour this mixture into a large pan, and add the shredded chicken and cooked onions. Heat through.
- To serve, each person spreads some sour cream (2 TBSP) on their tostada shell, and tops with a spoonful of the chicken (about ½ cup)
Nutritional info per tostada : Calories 251 (original recipe had 670 calories), Fat 7.2 g, 26% of calories (original recipe had 48 grams, 64% of calories), Sodium 352 mg (original recipe had 855 mg), carbohydrate, 20 grams (original recipe has 31 grams)