In my years of working with patients that struggle to get on a regular exercise routine, the most common excuse I hear is, “I’ll start exercising when it gets……(insert “colder,” or “warmer”). ” Well, if we all waited for perfect weather to exercise, most of us would not get much in at all. It would be nice if we all lived somewhere where the weather was good every day, but that’s not in the cards for most of us. So, I always tell people that if they enjoy exerising outdoors, that’s just fine, but that they should always have a back up plan. Here are some ideas for exercising indoors when the weather does not cooperate:
- get on the treadmill or other piece of exercise equipment if you have any
- see if you can get your hands on a free pass to the gym; lots of gyms give these out, thinking you’ll commit to a membership
- pop in your favorite exercise DVD…there are so many fun ones out there!
- invest in a jump rope
- buy some warm clothes if the weather is a little too chilly
- exercise early in the morning or in the later evening if it’s too warm during the day
Any other suggestions from anyone else?…..