Posted by Jennifer (the student) on July 25, 2012
This is a recipe we have been making for years. And we have friends and family that request this dish.
- 2 to 3 pound tri tip
- 1 cup brewed coffee (good quality)
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- 3 TBSP bbq sauce (any type you like)
- Combine coffee, olive oil, bay leaves and bbq sauce in large Ziploc bag.
- Place tri tip in the bag and place in refrigerator. Marinate at least 6 hours.
- Remove tri tip from refrigerator 1 hour before grilling.
- Grill on the non-fat side for 10 to 15 minutes.*
- Grill the fat side for 10 minutes or until tri tip reaches your desired level of doneness (or at least close, it will continue to cook once removed from grill). *
- Remove from grill a let sit for 20 minutes for slicing.
- Serve and enjoy.
- On a charcoal grill move charcoals to the side, on a gas grill turn up the heat on the side burners to 600-700 degrees and the middle grills off.
- No need to trim the fat unless there is an excessive amount of fat.
- Using the palm of your hand: if the roast feels like the center of your palm, is rare if it feels like the bottom of your thumb is medium.