This dish is not the prettiest but it is sure tasty. This is the kind of dish that is better the day after you make, all the flavors blend together in a wonderful way.
- 1 small head green cabbage, sliced
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ lb ground pork
- 1 small onion, minced
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- 1 TBSP paprika, regular
- 2 tsp paprika, smoked
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 1 tsp paprika, smoked
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large baking sheet, place sliced cabbage and sprinkle with olive oil.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes, halfway through toss cabbage once. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large sauté pan, brown the beef, pork and onion for about 5-7 minutes. Then combine granulated garlic, paprika, cinnamon, salt and pepper with meat mixture. Continue to cook until meat is completely cooked. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine crushed tomatoes, sugar, paprika and granulated garlic.
- In a large casserole dish with high sides, assemble casserole by layering half the baked cabbage on the bottom, topped with a layer of half the meat and then a layer of half the tomato sauce. Repeat layering one more time.
- Place in oven and cook for 1 to 1 ½ hours, depending on the depth of your dish. Sides should be bubbly and the top layer will be a little crusty.
- After removing from the oven, let the casserole rest for 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve and enjoy!