It’s that time of year when I start thinking about baking for the fall and the upcoming holidays. I think this is a healthier option over canned sweetened condensed milk because you can control all the ingredients and I think it tastes better too. I like to use organic ingredients. This can be used to replace canned sweetened condensed milk in baking or it can just be added to coffee (YUM). This makes about 1 cup to 1¼ cups depending on how much you reduce the liquid.
- 1 ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- Over medium-low heat, in a heavy saucepan, add milk and sugar.
- Simmer until sugar has dissolved.
- After sugar has dissolved reduce heat to lowest setting and let simmer for about 2 hour. Until liquid reduces to about ½ of its original quantity.
- Once liquid has reduced, remove from the stove and whisk in the butter and vanilla.
- Let cool and place in an airtight container. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.