My Mom’s Oatmeal Muffins
This recipe is from my Mother and this is the first recipe she learned to make. I think this recipe goes back to my great grandmother and my family has been making it ever since then. I grew up eating them and I love them fresh from the oven with butter and jam. What I really like about this recipe is that they are not overly sweet.
- 1-cup oatmeal (old-fashioned slow cook)
- 1-cup milk
- 1-cup flour
- 3 TBSP butter
- 1 egg (beaten)
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 TBSP sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a saucepan, scald milk and butter.
- In a mixing bowl, add oatmeal and scalded milk. Combine and let sit until cools off.
- Then combine flour, egg, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a muffin pan, pour dough into pre-buttered muffin cups.
- Bake for 23 to 27 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
* Makes 8 large muffins or 12 small muffins.