I love pasta but sometimes I feel like I am eating to many starchy foods. I have seen, many time consuming recipes for making vegetables into noodle but I don’t have time for that. So I thought I would give steamed cabbage a try and I really liked it. I did not cook the cabbage too long so it had a little crunch left. Hope you like my low carb take on traditional spaghetti.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 sweet Italian turkey sausages, remove casting
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped (I used one red and one green)
- 25 oz jar of marinara sauce
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp tarragon shallot citrus seasoning (could use lemon pepper)
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- sea salt to taste
- 1 cabbage, thinly sliced
- In large stockpot over medium heat, combine beef, sausage, onion and bell peppers.
- Cook until meats are browned, then add marinara sauce, tomato paste, oregano, rosemary, citrus seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a pot with a steam basket, add water and bring to a boil.
- Add cabbage and steam 5 to 10 minutes with lid on pot. (I steamed for 5 minutes)
- Serve as you would serve traditional pasta dish.
* I topped mine with freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese but Parmesan would work.
* I use ½ a cabbage for 2 large servings with enough marinara sauce for at least 2 more servings leftover.