Fall is almost here, which makes me think of apple season. Most years, I plan a trip to the local apple farms. There is always are large variety of apple to sample, hot cider to drink and apple donuts to be eaten. Fall is my favorite time of year and this is just one of my autumn rituals. One of the best benefits of this ritual is that it reminds me to work apples to into my daily diet.
Not only are apples a sweet and juicy treat, they are packed full of many nutritional benefits. Apples are a good source of fiber, low in calorie and are packed with vitamin like vitamin C and vitamin A.
- Boosts immune system with the antioxidant vitamin C.
- Increases bone strength and density with the flavonoid phloridzin.
- Helps with weight loss because apples are loaded with fiber and water, which helps to keep you feeling full.
- Reduces tooth decay by lowering the levels of bacteria in the mouth.
- Prevent cardiovascular disease by lowering cholesterol and improving the function of blood vessels.
- Prevents gallstones by removing excess cholesterol in the bile.
- Decreases the development of type 2 diabetes by helping to control blood sugar swings.
- Controls diarrhea and constipation by regulating water in the colon.
- Neutralizes irritable bowel syndrome.
- Prevents hemorrhoids by preventing constipation.
Apple season is just starting, if you have the opportunity to visit a apple farm this season do. And take advantage of all the health benefits apples have to offer.
Apple areas in southern California:
Oak Glen – http://www.oakglen.net/
Julian – http://www.julianca.com/